Our Building in 1952
606 Washington Ave. N.
“Where It All Started!” The M.H. Baker Company changed its name to Chem/Serv, Inc. when located in this multi-storied building in the warehouse district of Washington Avenue (now considered “trendy!”). Tall and narrow, this was a harrowing situation for a company that actually moves inventory!! The office area occupied the first floor, so that all inventory had to be moved up and down a very old, very rickety and persnickety freight elevator. No one really knew how much weight “the thing” could accommodate…each trip up or down was an adventure, but our stalwart warehouse workers seemed to take it all in stride. There was a tiny room which was sometimes call “the lab” and sometimes called “the kitchen,” solely depending on who was using it at the time. It was a kitchen because it contained a hot plate and a very small “fridge”. A favorite memory came about because of (then Sales Manager) Harry Fischman’s birthday. Knowing of his appetite for chili dogs, we had all the “fixings.” The chili wasn’t cooking fast enough in a crockpot, so Chem/Serv’s secretary thought it a splendid idea to put the “crock” part of the crockpot on the hot plate to get it hot. Said crock soon exploded with a loud “Boom!” … and we quickly discovered chili hanging from the walls, as well as the ceiling, of the…well, at this point, let’s just call it a lab!!!! Harry Fischman went out for his birthday lunch!Back Next